Most of us are always on the lookout for the best bargains in the market. But when it comes to buying electrical products and appliances, choosing the lowest price may result in huge costs in the long run. These cheap appliances may place your home and your family at risk. For instance, if an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or it constantly trips the circuit breaker, it could mean that the appliance is defective and might cause a house fire or electrical shock.
To prevent this from happening, you need to make sure that the products and appliances you are buying have been properly tested and certified. But that’s not all. You should also be a responsible consumer by making sure that the product is used as intended and that you will take precautions when operating the appliance. If you are careless and neglectful, you might create a hazardous situation that can result in injuries, suffering, and losses.
How Do I Know That An Appliance Is Safe To Use?
When purchasing new appliances, you should always look for safety certifications. You should also look for the manufacturer’s warnings and recommendations for safe use. These labels are present in most products in the market. The gold standard in safety around the world is the Underwriters Laboratories (UL). They have been testing and writing safety standards for different kinds of products, appliances, and materials for many years. Although each country and state often have their own safety certification programs and electrical safety guidelines, the UL mark is still widely recognized as a trusted seal of approval.
Manufacturers are also required to have their products and appliances tested by a third party testing laboratory. The testing lab should be able to make sure that the product adheres to the safety standards set by the state and federal laws. Click here to learn more about the testing procedures that third party testing laboratories offer.
Manufacturers should also remember that it is an offense to sell and distribute products and appliances that fail to meet the safety standards. For this reason, when you are looking for a new appliance, you should look for the appropriate approval badge and regulatory compliance mark.
Basic Appliance Safety Tips
- Use the product according to the manufacturer’s instructions. It is recommended to read the user’s manual before operating the appliance.
- Use the product only for what it was designed for. Using it for other purposes might pose a risk or hazard. In addition, it will also void the product warranty and lower its life cycle.
- Unplug all electrical appliances, especially hair dryers, curling irons, and clothes irons, when they are not in use.
- Avoid using appliances with frayed cord, melted plugs, or exposed wires. Immediately repair or replace any damaged cords and plugs. For added precaution, you should discard them.
- Do not plug the product into a faulty electrical circuit. Seek help from an electrician if the electrical receptacle shows signs of smoke, flashing, or arcing.
- Repair or replace any damaged appliance to an authorized repair center. If they can’t be repaired, safely dispose of them.
- If your appliance has an auto shut-off function, do not misuse it. Say, for example, you have a small amount of coffee left in the coffee maker, do not rely on the auto shut-off to turn it off. Doing so might result in a house fire.
- If an electrical product has fallen into the water, do not reach for it unless you are sure that the appliance is unplugged or the circuit breaker is shut off.
Kris Bennette has been writing professionally for more than two years and she has written articles for lifestyle, family, and health and wellness topics for online publishing. In this article, she lists a few tips for choosing safe appliances.
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- What Do Hotels In Denmark Have On Offer
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society