5 Procedures to Follow When Involved in a Car Accident
When you have been involved in a car accident, there are several things that you should do to protect yourself and your family. Many of these things will be a natural reaction to this type of situation. However, there are a few things that you must do to protect your rights that you may not be aware of at the time of the accident. Knowing what you should do in the event of a car accident will help you manage this crisis with ease.
1. Seek Medical Attention
You will want to request medical attention at the time of the accident. Delaying treatment is never a good idea. When you delay treatment, the insurance company will often question or deny any types of medical expenses because they say that you cannot prove they were related to the car accident.
2. Collect Pictures and Witnesses
If possible, gather pictures of the accident and witness names and numbers. If you have been injured, this may be impossible to do. However, if you can send someone down to the scene afterwards, it will help to have pictures of where the accident occurred.
3. Notate What you Remember
As soon as you can, write down what you remember about the accident. Include weather conditions, anything you may have noticed prior to the accident, and anything that you may have noticed afterwards. These are for you only and should not be given to the insurance adjustor.
4. Avoid Providing a Statement
Insurance companies have been known to show up at the emergency room to try and get a statement or a sign-off from the injured party before they have even been properly diagnosed or treated. Do not give a written or oral statement to the insurance company until you have spoken to an attorney.
5. Employ an Injury Attorney
You will want to hire a car accident attorney that is experienced with injury law and automobile accidents. To protect your rights, you will need to have legal representation.
The Importance of a Car Accident Injury Attorney
Hiring the correct type of lawyer to represent you after a car accident is very important. Most lawyers practice in a specific area of law. Selecting one that routinely works with car accidents and personal injury will help your personal injury claim and legal case and help to ensure that your rights are being fully protected.
An auto accident attorney will be able to determine:
• Cause of accident- Sometimes there are circumstances surrounding an accident that places fault on more than one party.
• Extent of Damages- There are many different forms of loss associated with an accident. This may include present and future wages, physical damages to your property, and medical costs.
• Fairness of the Insurance Company- Insurance companies are known to make low offers for compensation. An attorney will counsel you to ensure that the company remains fair.
When an accident occurs, there will be many things that change in your life. You will need the assistance of an experienced auto accident attorney. Your attorney can help relieve much of the stress related to a car accident, allowing you time to recover and heal.
Freelance legal writer and researcher Lisa Coleman shares the important procedures a person should take immediately following a car accident, including hiring an experienced attorney. She recently researched online how a dedicated Michigan car accident attorney firm, the Stroble Law Firm, could legally represent a client who has been seriously injured in a car accident, handling all the legalities needed.
Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124370018@N01/2477374996/
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- Are Cheap Web Hosting Services Worth the Price?
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society