There are various elements involved when shopping for a new mattress. Aside from the construction and materials used to manufacture the bed, it is also crucial to take into account your personal sleeping style. This means you need to consider your sleeping position as well when choosing a mattress. This is a huge factor in choosing the right mattress for you. In this article, we will take a closer look at the different sleeping positions and discuss which type of mattress best caters to a particular sleeping style.
Sleeping On Your Side: This position involves sleeping on your side with both of your arms out in front of you. You can also sleep on your left side while curled up into a fetus position. This style is the most common position.
- Health Issues: When you rest on your side, it will help lessen the problems caused by acid reflux disease or sleep apnea. Unfortunately, this position may also put a stress on your vital organs, especially if you sleep on your left side. If this is your favorite sleeping position, try to curl up on the right side of your body instead.
- Recommended Mattress: For side sleepers, it is best to look for a mattress that can equally distribute support along the length of the body. This will help reduce pressure points. The mattress must not put a lot of stress on the shoulder and hip area. It means that the mattress should be slightly softer, such as plush innerspring, latex, or memory foam mattress. These types of cushions combine softness and support.
Sleeping On Your Back: This position involves lying on your back with either arms on your side or with both arms up.
- Health Issues: According to recent studies, this sleeping style may lead to snoring and difficulty breathing. In fact, people who sleep on their back are more likely to suffer from a disturbed sleep.
- Recommended Mattress: If you sleep on your back, you need to look for a mattress that can support your lower back and keep your air passage free from any obstruction. This means that your spine must be properly supported. As a tip, you must look for a bed with a softer feel that allows your back to rest comfortably. Keep in mind that a very firm spring mattress may have the tendency to push against the spine which will not provide the right curvy support. It is advisable to opt for a medium-firm mattress, such as a pillowtop mattress.
Sleeping On Your Stomach: This position involves lying on your stomach, with your hands on either side of your body or around the pillow, and with your head turned to one side.
- Health Issues: This position may look uncomfortable but it is actually good for digestion.
- Recommended Mattress: This sleeping style requires a one-of-a-kind type of support that can keep the spine properly aligned. The bed must also prevent the body from sinking too much into the mattress since it won’t be comfortable and may lead to muscle and back pains when you wake. What you need is a firmer and stiffer mattress that can keep your body afloat. It is highly recommended to look for a high quality, firm innerspring mattress since it is probably the most comfortable option.
If you do not have a preferred sleeping position, it may mean that you move a lot in bed. If so, you need to choose a mattress that you personally find comfortable- one that is not too firm in case you sleep on your side and one that is not too soft in case you sleep on your stomach. The mattress recommendations for people who do not fall into any sleeping position category include innerspring pocket coil mattresses or latex foam mattress.
Kris Hopkins is a registered nurse who occasionally blogs about health and wellness issues. In this article, she discusses the common sleeping style categories. She recommends her readers to purchase high quality mattresses from trusted stores, such as Parklane Mattresses.
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- What Do Hotels In Denmark Have On Offer
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society