Unexpected Loss: How To Survive The Death Of A Loved One
It is never easy to lose a loved one, but the situation will definitely be exacerbated if the person dies as the result of someone else’s negligent actions. For example, when a loved one dies at the hands of a drunk driver, it is normal to feel a lot of anger toward the responsible party. It is also a good idea to consider filing a wrongful death lawsuit in this type of situation because it can provide financial assistance for the surviving family members, and it can also offer a form of closure for the entire incident.
Tips For Surviving The Loss Of A Loved One
Regardless of whether your loved one died from natural causes, an illness or someone’s negligence, you are still going to need to deal with all of the stages of grief, including isolation and denial. This process works differently for everyone, so it is vital to let other family members have the time that they need to work through their feelings. Additionally, there are several things that you can do to transition through the grieving process.
1. Speak To A Grief Counselor – If you are having a difficult time getting your emotions under control, you can utilize the services of a trained grief counselor to safely discuss everything that you are feeling. Depression is a common stage of grief, and you may get stuck in the anger stage for an extended period of time without a counselor if your loved one was the victim of a wrongful death.
2. Take Time Off Work – It will be important to get back into the swing of your normal life relatively quickly, but you should still give yourself some time to work through your feelings beore you are forced to deal with your job. Therefore, it is a good idea to take at least a couple of days off work so that you can cry freely and take the time to think about your favorite memories of the deceased individual.
3. Start A Fundraiser – One of the best ways to honor the memory of a departed loved one is to start a fundraiser to make a large contribution to their favorite charity. As an added bonus, this will give you a way to channel your grief, and you can end up getting something positive out of your feelings. Most online fundraising sites let donors leave comments on a message board, so this is also a good way to let people reminiscence.
It is important to keep a close eye on your emotions during the first couple of months after a loved one passes away. As previously mentioned, depression is one of the stages of grief, and if this is left unchecked, you could end up with a serious issue. Additionally, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible if you are dealing with a wrongful death situation. According to one wrongful death attorney New York state law allows a spouse, parent or child to seek compensation if a loved one is the victim of a wrongful death. Keep in mind that each state has a statute of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits, so you will need to take action relatively quickly.
Melanie Fleury is a writer whose brother passed away in a wrongful death situation. At The Perecman Firm, P.L.L.C. wrongful death attorney New York based, the understanding is that no amount of compensation can bring back your loved one, but it can help to ease the financial burden caused by such a tragedy.
Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwramsauer/306736826/
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- What Do Hotels In Denmark Have On Offer
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society