As you prepare for your first triathlon, there are probably a hundred things running through your mind. Triathlons are physically tough, emotionally strenuous, and mentally challenging. On the flip side, they can also make you feel your best physically, emotionally, and mentally. The challenge and the pain that you might feel is worth the feeling of elation as you cross that finish line. So, what do you need to do to prepare? You will need mental preparation, physical preparation, as well as the proper triathlete equipment.
Before you even begin the physical preparation, you should prepare yourself mentally for the triathlon. You need a great sense of determination and will power to participate in and complete a triathlon. The following are some thoughts that can help you to mentally prepare.
- Consider the finish line your success, whether you rank high or not. As a first time triathlete, you really don’t know what to expect, so you should just tell yourself that you are going to finish. When you cross the line, be proud of yourself for doing what you set out to do.
- Recall a prior accomplishment. What made it a success? How did you feel after you accomplished it? That is still who you are, no matter what.
- Listen to some of your favorite music as you train. It will put you in a better mood, as well as lift your self worth.
One of the most important aspects of triathlon training is physical preparation. A triathlon is not like running the mile in high school. You cannot just walk into it without a great deal of physical preparation. Make a goal to train for a certain amount of days and a certain amount of time each day. The following physical training tips will get you prepared for your first triathlon.
- Wear a heart rate monitor to be sure you are right on target, and also for safety reasons.
- Practice drinking water so that you know when and where it will be the most beneficial for you.
- Practice different methods of the transition between events.
- Warm up and cool down before and after each training session.
- Begin with short distances and work your way up to the full triathlon distance. Be sure to train at the full triathlon distance multiple times so that your body is use to it.
- Wear the same clothes and use the same equipment that you will use in the actual race.
As was previously mentioned, you should wear the clothes and use the equipment during training that you are going to use during the race. This will ensure that you know how it works, what you need to adjust, and if it will be comfortable during the triathlon. The equipment you should buy for your triathlon includes:
- A swimsuit and/or a wetsuit.
- Goggles that fit well.
- A swim cap (check to see if the race officials provide you with one before you spend money on it).
- A good road bike or triathlon specific bike that is lightweight.
- A helmet.
- Plenty of water.
- Good running shoes.
- Bike shoes.
With the right equipment and by preparing mentally and physically to the best of your ability, you will not have to worry on race day. You can feel confident that you have done everything you can to be successful at your race.
Dorian Travers enjoys the outdoors and loves to help people learn new ways to improve their health and quality of life.
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- What Do Hotels In Denmark Have On Offer
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society