Vinyasa yoga, a vigorous form of yoga, established in the late 20th Century refers to the alignment of movement and breath and was popularized by K. Pattabhi Jois. This form of yoga is believed to turn the static asanas (body position) into dynamic flow and is hence flow yoga. It is a fast-paced and vigorous form wherein synchronization between the movement and breath is achieved. It involves transitioning between asanas and each inhale or exhale of breath dictates the time spent in the transitioning. Unlike other types of yoga, the practitioner is expected to keep attention on the breath and transitioning between asanas rather than achievement of perfect body shape. The sun salutation (surya namaskara) is one such form where the main focus is on the movement and elegance and hence it seems like a dance style. This format of yoga is ideal for rookies as well as experienced.
In this yoga form, the practitioner is taught to develop a diaphragmatic style of breathing and with practice it is maintained in alignment with movements. Asanas are held by the practitioner for a predefined number of breaths, which distinguishes it from other forms of yoga. When the practitioner performs each asana it creates internal heat, which leads to improved circulation and sweating and in turn purification. Vinyasa yoga has four main parts:
It begins with 10 Sun Salutations and then several standing asanas.
2. Six main series:
In this part, a practitioner does one of the six main series. These include- Primary Series (Yoga Chikitsa), Intermediate Series (Nadi Shodhna) and Advanced A, B, C or D (Sthira Bhaga).
3. Back-bending sequence:
After doing one of the six main series, the practitioner goes for back-bending posture slowly concentrating on his breath.
4. Finishing sequence:
In the finishing sequence, the practitioner moves from back-bending or upward-facing dog to downward-facing dog posture (Adho Mukha Svanasana).
Vinyasa yoga is very popular and like other forms of yoga it is taught in yoga school and many people benefit from its daily practice . It can aid you in the following ways:
- It helps in the purification of body through sweating.
- It helps in maintaining peaceful mental focus, release stress and anxiety.
- It synchronizes breath and movement.
- It increases stamina, muscle strength, and flexibility.
- It helps in channeling the hyperactivity of young minds by calming the ongoing chatter of mind.
- It assists extroverted personalities to redirect their attention to their internal experience.
There are eight aspects or limbs of spiritual yogic practice of which four are external practices and the other four are internal.
The external practices include:
- Moral codes or Yama
- Self purification and study or niyama
- Posture or asana
- Breath control or pranayama
The internal practices include:
- Withdrawal of mind from senses or pratyahara
- Concentration or dharana
- Deep meditation or dhyana
- unification with the object of meditation
According to Pattabhi Jois; any defects in external practices are correctable while defects in internal practices are not. He however, advised that the defects in internal practices can be corrected if Ashtanga Yoga was followed correctly.
Today, there are a number of yoga schools set up in different corners of the globe giving people accessibility to benefit from yoga classes. Many beginners as well as experienced yogic are keen to join these classes largely because of the unlimited benefits different yoga exercises offer. Many big corporate have started organizing yoga classes for their employees. Yoga has gained tremendous popularity across the globe and today we can also access yoga classes online as well as through DVD’s and CD’s. If you want to lean more extra yoga news please visit http://www.yandara.com/ .
Photo Credit: lululemon athletica (CC BY 2.0)
- Luxury Caravan with Mercedes SLK Inside
- Mind Control
- 18 Of The Best Places To Swim With Sharks
- 7 Of The Most Stunning Castles In Europe And Beyond
- England countryside
- Are Cheap Web Hosting Services Worth the Price?
- The Amazing World of Pigeons
- Welcome Spring with Crocus Flowers
- Essential Skills For The Future
- Make Some Brand-New Good Old Days: Living Your Youth Again
- Arts and Design
- Featured Articles
- People and Society